Here are a number of important ways that you can help do your part in keeping our water clean.
- Eliminate or reduce fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides on your lawns and gardens. Lawn chemicals are not good for the environment and flow into our waterways. Use eco-friendly products that are organic and low in nitrogen.
- Mow your lawn as high as possible and recycle or compost your grass clippings.
- Conserve water by not running the tap when washing dishes and brushing your teeth and start taking shorter showers. If you have an irrigation system, use sparingly early in the morning and shut off when raining.
- Wash your car at a car wash where they capture and recycle water. If you do wash your car at home, do it on grass or gravel to reduce runoff into storm drains.
- Think about what you are dumping in your drains or flushing down your toilet. Medications, cleaners, cooking greases, paints and other chemicals are potentially hazardous.
Visit BCWC’s website to learn more details about how you can help protect our local waters.
Show Us Why Clean Water Matters To You
During the month of August, e-mail or tag us in a picture or video of you doing a fun water-activity. Each week we will select one winner and give a prize for the best picture or video.
E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Or tag us in a Facebook or Instagram post using hashtags #barnstablecleanwatercoalition, #bcleanwater and #cleanwatermatters