Aquaculture/Education Internship Announcement
Barnstable Clean Water Coalition (BCWC) is a non-profit organization working to restore and preserve clean water in Barnstable. Continuing to build on 20 years of water quality monitoring in the Three Bays estuary, BCWC has expanded the geographic scope of its education, monitoring, mitigation and advocacy programs to protect our ponds, rivers, bays and estuaries.
BCWC seeks two Aquaculture/Education interns for the 2019 season.
Aquaculture Responsibilities: Interns will assist with the care of oysters and maintenance of off-site upweller tank. Duties include sorting oysters, cleaning the upweller tank and equipment, testing water quality, tracking oyster growth, and data entry.
Education Responsibilities: Interns will assist with public outreach and educational presentations on oysters, water quality and the upweller. Duties include answering questions about BCWC, the upweller project, and the benefits of oysters/shellfish to water quality and the aquatic environment.
Internships are unpaid. Interns must have their own transportation and housing.
- Internship is open to students who are currently enrolled in, or recently graduated from an accredited college or university.
- Preference will be given to students or recent graduates working towards marine science, environmental studies, education or another related field.
- Intern should demonstrate strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Intern should be able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Must be comfortable working with and communicating with all ages.
- Must be comfortable working in and around the water, be a capable swimmer, and be able to work outside in the full sun.
- Must be able to lift and move 30 pounds.
- Additional duties may include field work on barrier island and water quality monitoring.
- Interns should expect to work a minimum of 20 hours per week, preferably 3-4 days/week and 3-5 hours/day, including some weekend days.
- Interns must be able to commit to working from mid-May thru mid-August, start/end dates flexible.
To Apply: Send cover letter (including approximate start/end date), resume and one letter of reference to Heather Rockwell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application deadline: March 15, 2019.